Interac is Canada's local debit network. It offers customers a secure way to pay for goods and services in person and online. It's the leading in-person payment method in Canada and for some verticals, like everyday purchase categories, can represent 40-60% of transactions. Interac supports EMV, contactless (Flash) and mobile wallet payments.
For ecommerce transactions, Interac provides two payment options: in-app or mobile web payment flows where an Interac card is used with Apple Pay, Google Pay, and Samsung Pay, and "Interac Online" which is an online banking payment method that can only be used for single-branded Interac cards. We see strong growth of the Apple Pay and Google Pay payment option, driven by the fact that most banks have chosen Interac for their debit cards in those wallets.
How it works
- Shopper reviews the order and selects Apple Pay as payment method
- Shopper reviews the payment information and confirms the payment
- Payment complete
- Shopper is able to see the successful transaction from the digital wallet
- Shopper accesses the merchant website and selects item
- Shopper selects Interac from the payment methods available
- Shopper is required to enter email address
- Shopper is directed to the Interac Online Gateway page to select Financial Institution to pay with
- Shopper is directed to selected Financial Institution’s online banking page to sign in using their existing online banking credentials
- Shopper selects account to pay with and confirms payment
|Payment type||Online banking|
|Available in||North America||Canada|
|Other||Refunds||For Point of Sale the customer must be physically present to process a refund|
|Partial refunds||Only for Ecommerce|
|Multiple partial refunds||Only for Ecommerce|
|Multiple partial captures|
|Chargebacks||In case of technical errors and goods not received|
|Local entity required|
|Sales day payout|
|Settlement delay||3 days|
Want to see how people pay in other countries?
Browse and filter 100+ payment methods on region, channel, and more.