WeChat Pay is a digital wallet connected to the eponymous Chinese superapp. In recent years it has quickly become a vital payment method for businesses wanting to reach Chinese shoppers, both home and abroad. WeChat has evolved into an ecosystem that allows Chinese shoppers to chat, browse, and make payments, all in one place - making shopping as easy as chatting to your friends.
How it works
- Customer selects WeChat Pay as payment method on merchant checkout page.
- Customer opens the WeChat Pay app and scans the QR code that appears on the screen of the merchant checkout page.
- The WeChatPay app loads to prompt user to pay.
- Customer enters WeChatPay PIN to confirm payment.
- Payment is completed on the WeChatPay app.
- Merchant display completed order status on own website confirmation page.
- Consumer is in the Wechat social app and opens a Merchant's Mini Program or Official Account (which is in WeChat app web browser) to browse lifestyle articles. The click on the embedded Purchase Button.
- Shopper is redirected into the Merchant's online shop in mobile browser that sits within the WeChat social app. They select their product.
- User confirms shopping cart.
- Redirects to payment page.
- User enters payment password to confirm the transaction.
- Customer proceeds to payment.
- Payment is completed and the Merchant displays on their Official Account or Mini Program browser (which is still in the Wechat app) the confirmation page.
Want to see how people pay in other countries?
Browse and filter 100+ payment methods on region, channel, and more.