WeChat Pay is a digital wallet connected to the eponymous Chinese superapp. In recent years it has quickly become a vital payment method for businesses wanting to reach Chinese shoppers, both home and abroad. WeChat has evolved into an ecosystem that allows Chinese shoppers to chat, browse, and make payments, all in one place - making shopping as easy as chatting to your friends.
1.2 Billion monthly active users & 800 million monthly payment active users
79% penetration in China and responsible for 34% of total mobile data traffic
Cross-border settlements: payouts supported in multiple currencies
1. Desktop QR On Desktop browser, after selecting for WeChatPay as a payment method merchant checkout, a QR code appears. The shopper then opens WeChat app on their mobile phone and scans the barcode displayed on the browser page to complete the payment. 2. Dynamic Ternimal QR (on POS) On point of sale, Merchants can display the QR code on the terminal and shoppers can open their WeChat app on their mobile phones to scan the QR code to complete payment.
3. H5 Flow (Deeplink) On Mobile browser, shopper selects WeChatPay as a payment method on Merchant checkout, and as redirected from the browser into the WeChatPay app to complete the payment before being redirected back to the Merchant browser. Though a very generic way to pay on mobile, please note that there is extra security applications required for this flow and not all Merchants will be approved by TenPay's risk and compliance teams. 4. In App (App to App) If a Merchant has a mobile app store, the Merchant will have to integrate with the WeChatPay SDK to support payment methods in the Merchant's own app store.
Mobile - In WeChat app
5. Official Account Usually popular in more Chinese speaking markets, Merchants can consider building a profile page on the WeChat social site and prompt shoppers to select products and complete payment within the WeChat social site environment. The payment will still go through Adyen. 6. Mini Program Another spin on Official Accounts, a Mini Program is like a website within the WeChat social site where more customizations from the Merchant are possible and shoppers can select products and complete payment within that environment.
How it works
- Customer selects WeChat Pay as payment method on merchant checkout page.
- Customer opens the WeChat Pay app and scans the QR code that appears on the screen of the merchant checkout page.
- The WeChatPay app loads to prompt user to pay.
- Customer enters WeChatPay PIN to confirm payment.
- Payment is completed on the WeChatPay app.
- Merchant display completed order status on own website confirmation page.
- Customer selects WeChat Pay as payment method on merchant checkout page on mobile browser.
- Customer is prompted to redirect to WeChat Pay app.
- Customer is redirected to the WeChat Pay app.
- Customer enters password.
- Payment is completed.
- Customer is redirected back to the merchant website on mobile browser.
- Consumer is in the Wechat social app and opens a Merchant's Mini Program or Official Account (which is in WeChat app web browser) to browse lifestyle articles. The click on the embedded Purchase Button.
- Shopper is redirected into the Merchant's online shop in mobile browser that sits within the WeChat social app. They select their product.
- User confirms shopping cart.
- Redirects to payment page.
- User enters payment password to confirm the transaction.
- Customer proceeds to payment.
- Payment is completed and the Merchant displays on their Official Account or Mini Program browser (which is still in the Wechat app) the confirmation page.
Frequently Asked Questions
Want to see how people pay in other countries?
Browse and filter 100+ payment methods on region, channel, and more.