Adyen, the leading global payments technology company, today announced that it processed $25 billion in payments transactions in 2014 – a close to 80% increase over 2013 – and achieved over 100% growth in terms of revenue and 40% growth in new customer wins. Based on figures from the end of 2014, the company has achieved an annualized run rate of $30 billion in transaction volume processed.
The news follows an announcement in December of a $250 million Series B funding round, and builds on 40% growth in payments transactions reported in 2013. Growth has been driven by both a substantial increase in customer adoption and organic growth of existing customers in many key markets globally, including North America, Europe, Latin America and Asia Pacific. New customers that signed with Adyen in 2014 include Facebook, Spotify, Airbnb, airberlin, and Domino’s Pizza. Additionally, Adyen rolled out its omni-channel payments solution for a number of new and existing clients in 2014, including retailers such as Superdry, Moss Bros, and de Bijenkorf (Selfridges-owned department store), which are now accepting payments across online and in-store with Adyen’s single integrated payments platform.
Adyen North America, one of the company’s fastest-growing regions, saw payment transaction volume of US-based customers quadruple over the past year. In addition to working with some of the fastest-growing brand names across a range of sectors, Adyen now powers payments for 4 of the 5 largest U.S. Internet companies by market capitalization.
“The possibility to operate payments with a single platform and contract across all sales channels worldwide offers enormous benefits to merchants, and our growth over the last year is a testament to how we are meeting that need,” said Pieter van der Does, CEO, Adyen. “Looking ahead, we still see enormous opportunities for growth, particularly through delivering cross-channel insights to merchants, and accelerated expansion in North America and Asia.”
Other 2014 company milestones, new offerings and growth indicators include:
- Enhanced its global acquiring network with further local capabilities in North America, Brazil and Mexico.
- Hired over 90 new employees, including former Netflix Head of Global Payments Kamran Zaki as President Adyen North America, and former Ingenico Management Board Member, Jean-Marc Thienpoint as Managing Director, Point-of-Sale Solutions. Total number of employees globally now stands at 260.
- Opened a new office in Madrid, relocated North American headquarters to San Francisco, and significantly expanded offices in London, Berlin, and Singapore.
- Added new payment methods including Apple Pay, SEPA Direct Debit (38 European countries), and Dragonpay (Philippines).
- Expanded capabilities for payment methods including Alipay (adding mobile and recurring payments), Interac (Canada), Qiwi (adding recurring payments), JCB (for online and in-store), and UnionPay ExpressPay (for online and in-store).
- Developed an invoice-based payment solution tailored for airlines and travel merchants in partnership with leading e-commerce company, Klarna.
- Won the Best E-Commerce Platform Gateway and Best Alternative Payment Solution Awards at CNP 2014 and Best Omni-Channel Payments Solution for its partnership with Moss Bros at the Retail Systems Payments Awards 2014.